Sunday, October 17, 2010

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree, How Lovely Are Your Branches!

Every year our family buys a fresh Christmas tree to put in our home. It is a tradition that started the first year we were married. My husband Drew had surprised me by taking me to a Christmas tree stand and letting me pick out whatever tree I wanted. From that year on Drew takes me to get a tree for Christmas. I love the smell it brings into the house. I can’t imagine Christmas without a fresh green tree to decorate.

On the way to the tree stand we talk about what the kids are going say in their Christmas letters to Santa. They never have a problem coming up with gifts they hope to find under the tree. My youngest daughter said she was going to ask about the elves. We always have so much fun writing letters to Santa.

When we pull into the parking lot we all pile out of the van. The kids take off through the maze of bright green trees. Drew and I walk hand and hand looking at the different kinds of Christmas trees they have to offer. The kids always find tree after tree they are sure will be the perfect tree for us. The boys always wanted the biggest tree on the lot. We had to remind them we had to have room for the star on top of tree.

Last year it didn’t take long at all for us to find the tree we knew was going home with us. It was a deep forest green with branches packed full of needles. It wasn’t a very tall tree but the whole family agreed this was the tree for us.

Drew and the man who worked at the tree stand tied the tree onto the roof of the van. I told all the kids I was sure that they would be on the nice list this year for being so well behaved and helpful at picking out a great Christmas tree.

When we got the tree home Drew brought the tree in and set it up in the living room. While he did that I helped the kids write letters to Santa Claus. The kids all told Santa about the Christmas tree. Trenton and Doyle drew pictures of it to send along with their letter. When the letters were finished we started the fun of decorating our Christmas tree.

I love getting out the old ornaments and putting them on the tree. Each year the kids get to pick out a brand new Christmas tree ornament so most all of them have a story. And of course, every year we spend time making homemade ornaments, so all of them have special meanings to us. It takes us a while but one by one all of the ornaments find a home on the tree. When it is finished and Drew has the honor of placing the star on the top of tree. Then, we turn on the twinkling lights and as a family we sit around together and marvel at the magic of our Christmas tree.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: