Monday, October 11, 2010

A Christmas Party That Gives To All

I am a member of a mothers group in my area. We throw a Christmas party every year. We divide the party into sections such as the cake walk. Each section is wrote down and placed in a bowl. Each member of the group then picks out a slip of paper from the bowl. Last year I drew the Christmas letters table. I was thrilled because this is a project that I have always enjoyed with my own kids.

I would be responsible for helping children write their letters to Santa. I had plenty of space to use. There were three long tables that looked like they came from a school cafeteria. I decided I would use the tables for different tasks. The first table would be for the actual writing a letter to Santa. The next table would be for glitter and the messy stuff. The last table would be for addressing the envelope to the North Pole.

My two oldest daughters volunteered to help out at the party. I was glad that there would be someone to help out at each table, other wise I would have probably been spread real thin. With their help I knew that I would be able to help the kids to make real nice letters. The end result would be Christmas letters that the kids would be proud of – and that’s how it should be when they are writing something as important as letters to Santa Claus!

When I went out shopping I found some real pretty holiday paper in several different colors. Next I picked out envelopes the kids could use to put the letters in. I took plain colored ones to match the paper I had chose. I found all kinds of glitter that would make the letters sparkle with magic. There were so many choices it was hard to decide on which stickers to buy. I stopped by the post office and bought the stamps.

Before the party the girls and I set the tables. The girls both said that they didn’t want to do the glitter table. My oldest takes charge of the writing table. She will help the kids to write a letter to Santa. She sets out the different kinds of paper and put the special pens and pencils in Christmas cups. Jackie has envelopes and stamps. I was surprised, she was eager for the party to start. She had filled out an envelope for the kids at her table to use as an example – it seems that Jackie knows Santa’s secret North Pole address.

At the party our tables were a big hit. I think every kid who came to the party wrote a Christmas letter. The kids thought it was cool that Jackie knew Santa’s workshop address. I was proud of how mature my girls were. We had a wonderful time with all of the children at the party. I was glad the girls and I had some special Christmas activities to share together. They are both teenagers and so busy between school, friends, and work – it sometimes seems like we hardly see each other. This annual Christmas party is a great way for us to ‘bond’ and it gives us memories that we talk about for months to come.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: