Sunday, October 31, 2010

Christmas Snow, Santa Letters, Fun And Love

The snow swirled around the yard outside making everything blindingly white. The kids were already pulling on their snow suits and boots. I wrapped scarves around each of their necks. They have to show me that they have their gloves on before I will let them out the door. Bessie our dog follows the kids out to have some fun kicking up snow as she goes.

While they are outside I gather up everything the kids will need to letters to Santa. The kids like to have something to do when I make them come in for warm up breaks. As I put the sugar cookies in the oven I set out six mugs for their hot chocolate. From the window I see the kids having a free for all snow ball fight. They are all covered in snow from head to toe. By the smiles on their faces it is clear they are having a good time.

When they come in they are ready to warm up with the cookies and hot chocolate. The girls were the first to ask about writing letters to Santa. I showed the kids the paper they had to choose from. Soon all of the kids are writing a letter to Santa. Sally used the star hole puncher all around the outside edge of her letter.

The snow outside piled up deep. The world outside had become a wonderland of snow. It wasn’t long before the kids were ready to go back out. I told them they could finish their Christmas letters to Santa when they came back in.

I watched my kids making snow angels. They all worked together and built a huge snowman. The backyard looked like a scene from a snow globe. The large flakes of snow float and spiral, painting out the world in white. The bright colors of their snow suits glow against all the gleaming white. It reminds me of a scene from a Norman Rockwell painting.

When the kids came back in they had icy red cheeks. I sat them down to warm back up. Bessie curled up on the rug in front of the fireplace. It didn’t take long and she was fast asleep. The kids changed out of their wet clothes and put on warm pajamas.

They gathered back around the table and I passed out grilled cheese sandwiches and chicken noodle soup. They finished up the meal and went back to their Santa letters. They all had finishing touches that they wanted add before the letters were sealed in the envelopes. As they finished their letters they stacked them on the shelf by the front door. One by one my kids fell asleep scattered around the living room watching Christmas movies. This was a good day – it was one of those days that only happens during the holiday season and the kind of day that mothers cherish long after their kids are grown.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: