Monday, October 25, 2010

Cupcakes For A Party And Letters To Santa!

At my children’s school we always have a winter wonderland party for the children. I wanted to make something special for my kids to take to share with their classmates. In the past I had sent in store bought cookies or juice. When I asked the kids if they had any ideas I got the same answer from each of them. They all wanted cupcakes.

I knew that it would take awhile for me to get all of the cupcakes done so we set up an assembly line on the kitchen counter. All three of the kids were responsible for collecting and measuring an ingredient. While we all moved around the kitchen I asked them if they knew what they were going to ask Santa for in their Christmas letters. My daughter wanted a horse farm set and a basket for her bike. Both of the boys wanted new video games. We talked about the surprises they had found under the tree last year.

We had room in the oven to do two pans of cupcakes at a time. Sally said she was going to add in a picture of the cupcakes when she writes a letter to Santa. We started to divide the cupcakes into three different groups. I had let each one of the kids pick out the icing and toppings for the cupcakes they were going to take. The kids and I had made both chocolate and red velvet cupcakes and we wanted to be sure they all had equal amounts of each.

The kids all talked about how they couldn’t wait for Christmas morning when they would find gifts from Santa under the tree. I love to see the happiness on their faces when they dream about the magic of Christmas together. It’s obvious that they believe in the possibility that anything can happen – it’s as if the magic of Christmas is visible in their angelic little faces.

After the cupcakes had all cooled we started to put on the icing. They all take their time I was glad that they were taking so much pride in their work. Slowly all the cupcakes were covered in sugary sweetness. Next the kids put on the sprinkles they had chosen. Sally had picked tiny candy canes and red sugar crystals. Trenton liked the rainbow sprinkles mixed with small candy gingerbread men. And green sugar crystals sparkled on the top of the emerald frosting that Doyle chose.

The kids decided we should start leaving out cupcakes for Santa. Trenton said he was going to ask if Santa likes cupcakes in his Christmas letter to Santa. I told them we could make a special batch on Christmas Eve using the left over decorations from their class party.

The cupcakes were a big hit at the school. All my kids wanted to know if we could make cupcakes for all their class parties. I’m not sure about the all the parties idea but I think we have just started a new tradition this year with leaving them out for Santa. After the kids received a ‘thank you’ note from Santa last year that mentioned the great snack the kids are all convinced that the cupcakes earned them extra gifts from the old guy!

Bookmark and Share

No comments: