Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Spreading Kindness During The Holidays

I can remember the year that I helped my mom get everything ready to take to the nursing home. She went there every year to visit the residents and this year she wanted me to go with her to help.

To be honest, I didn’t really want to go but my mom talked me into it. She said that the people there did not have anybody to visit them and it would make their day if I came along – I finally decided I would.

I helped my mom make Christmas cards from construction paper to pass out; I also helped her make the Christmas cookies with the little Santa Clauses on them. We bought special Christmas tins to place the cookies in. The preparation for the visit to the nursing home was actually kind of fun.

When it was time to take all of our goodies inside I started to get nervous; I had never done anything like this before and did not know what to expect. When we got inside the entry way a lady led us to the ‘gathering room’. That is where we handed out our cookies and cards. I remember feeling sad that some of the people couldn’t have the cookies (because of diabetes or other complications).

All of the people there were very friendly and wanted to talk to us. They seemed so happy to have us there – it made me feel glad that I came. We were there for hours. Even after the cookies were gone some of the people stayed just to talk to us.

We visited some of the people in their rooms. My mom brushed some of the ladies’ hair, but a lot of the people were asleep so we just left our homemade Christmas card on their nightstand. I liked being in the rooms with the people better than being in the gathering room.

We could talk to them one on one and did not have a bunch of people trying to talk to us at once. They were very appreciative about their cookies and cards. Many of them asked us to come back not only for the Christmas holiday, but just to visit and play games with them.


This is a Christmas that I will never forget. I have gone back to that nursing home to visit and pass out cards and cookies many times over the years. The people living there are so appreciative when someone takes the time to visit with them.

My children are even involved now – they help me make the Christmas cards and cookies, and they go with me for the vists. My kids love it and look forward to it every year.

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

Dorothy said...

I really enjoyed reading this story. Memories from Christmas past are the best and this was nice because you carried on a treasured memory.