Monday, October 26, 2009

Helping Others During The Holidays

I can remember the Christmas holiday that my mom helped our neighbors across the street from us. They were new to the neighborhood and had openly discussed their financial problems with my mom. The family had young children to care for and was worried how they were going to get through Christmas. Their bills were piling up and things were looking pretty dismal.

My mom suggested that they call some of the local churches that would help with gifts for all the children, they also provide food for the ones who qualify. She also told them to try and put the kids on the Angel tree and wait to see if they get picked from the tree. She told them that Christmas is about making memories that will last with your family. It is not what you get your kids it is the memory that you make with them.

They called around to all of the churches – some gave them food, others helped them with their bills and others helped with gifts and in other ways. The family was able to use a little of the money to actually shop for a gift or two for each of their children.

They were so happy and appreciative that my mom had told them about all of those places that would help them. They even pulled together enough money to get something for her. They came over a couple days before Christmas to give my mom her gift. It was wrapped with a bow and my mom placed it under the tree with all the other presents. It made my mom proud that she helped this family and she invited them to eat Christmas dinner with us, she was thrilled that they accepted.

On Christmas Day the family arrived to eat with us. The house was packed with people everywhere; the mood was festive with Christmas music playing in the background.

This is a Christmas that I will never forget. My mom helped this family get through Christmas just by giving advice to them. Because they listened and took action, they had a good Christmas. It shows you that you do not have to do much to help less fortunate people.

This year I plan on getting the family together and making a big gift basket to send to the churches in the area. It will be helping the less fortunate in an indirect way and making memories with my children in a very direct way – memories that will last a lifetime.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: