Monday, September 27, 2010

Special Delivery – Sent By Santa

       
When my husband Drew and I were dating in college we had be apart one year for Christmas. Our relationship was still in that freshly in love glow. When we said our good byes we both promised to call each other whenever we could. I went home to spend the holidays with my family and he stayed on campus because of work.

I was glad to be home. I have a real close family so it was hard to be away from them for so long. My mother and I talked for hours in the kitchen while we baked and cooked the Christmas dishes that brought back the joy of childhood days. I helped my little cousins write letters to Santa Claus. It felt so good to be home surrounded by so many people who I love. Still I couldn’t quit thinking about Drew.

We talked to each other as much as possible. Drew was working extra hours so that a man he worked with could spend more time with his family during the holidays. He said that he was fine. There were a lot of guys on campus that couldn’t get off of work to go home. I was so glad that he at least had people around him. It drove me crazy to think of him being all alone on Christmas.

My four year old cousin Alice was my shadow that Christmas season. One night before she went off to bed she asked me what do reindeer eat. I promised that if she went to bed I would show her the very next day. She made me pinky promise no matter what I would tell her. The next morning she was ready to know about the reindeer. Somehow I got her to wait until after breakfast. I tried to call Drew real quick to let him know I would be busy outside with Alice and I would have to call him later but I wasn’t able to reach him. I assumed he was working extra hours again.

I took Alice outside and handed her a small paper bag. I told her that it was enough food for one Christmas. I loved seeing her face light up with joy. I told her that it was special reindeer food from Santa. I showed her the bowl that we had always used for the reindeer. It was bright red with sparkling green jewels around the rim. I told her on Christmas Eve it would be her job to feed the reindeer.

Alice told me to wait outside because she had a Christmas surprise for me too. When she came back she had an envelope in her hand that said “sent by Santa” across the front. The card inside told me to go look in the driveway. I ran through the house, and standing in the driveway was Drew, the man I am still crazy about today.

Bookmark and Share


No comments: