Sunday, September 12, 2010

All You Need Is Santa’s Workshop Address To Create The Perfect Snow Globe

When I was a little girl there lived a woman down the street we called Mrs. Tilde. She was a sweet older woman. She lived alone and had no children of her own. When I would see her out on the street she would stop and talk and ask how I was. I liked to help her while she worked in her garden. I love spending time with her and she seemed to enjoy my company just as much.

Mrs. Tilde had an amazing collection which she displayed in her huge bay window at Christmas time. All the vines and plants that normally filled the window were replaced by rows of gleaming snow globes. One year she invited me in and wanted to know if I wanted to learn how to make snow globes. She told me that she had Santa’s workshop address and that she sent a letter to Santa asking him and his elves how to make snow globes. While she was talking she laid out the supplies we would need on the table in front of me.

She sat out a variety of jars for me to choose from. I choose a slender old olive jar. Next we looked through all the plastic figurines she had collected over the years. She said that she received a letter sent by Santa. Inside the letter Santa’s elves gave her instructions on how to make a snow globe. She had a story to go along with each figurine. Some she had picked up while she traveled to far away places and others she had found at yard sales. She picked up a small cottage covered in snow she told me that it was a gift from Santa Claus.

I decided to use a figurine of a group of three snowmen standing around a Christmas tree. She showed me how to glue the snowmen down to the lid using a hot glue gun. We filled the jars with water then dropped two teaspoons of glitter in the water. Mrs. Tilde screwed the lids on tight. Lastly she sealed the lid with the hot glue. She handed me mine and told me to flip it over. I was as proud as could be as I watched the glitter swirl around the snowmen.

I remember going home that night and writing a letter to Santa asking him put Mrs. Tilde on his nice list. I still see Mrs. Tilde when I visit my mom. Now it is my daughter who helps in Mrs. Tilde’s garden. Last year at Christmas my daughter came in proudly holding a homemade snow globe. It brought me joy to know that my daughter just like me learned the magic of snow globes from Mrs. Tilde.



Bookmark and Share

No comments: