Sunday, December 27, 2009

I Hope Your Christmas Was Wonderful!

Okay, now that things are getting back to normal and Christmas is over, how was it? Mine was wonderful.

This was my first Christmas without my mother, so it's not surprising that there were lots of bittersweet moments. As much as I missed her during the holiday I seemed to somehow feel closer to her than I had in prior months. Christmas Eve had always been celebrated at her home and this year we would be starting a new tradition - my children, grandchildren, and my husband and I would celebrate at my home on Christmas Eve.

I was looking forward to Christmas Eve - I knew being with my kids and grandkids was the therapy I needed to make my holiday special. My husband and I had done everything we could to make the evening wonderful. In fact, were shopping up until the last minute - we wanted to be sure that everyone had a good time.

In hindsight, there are a few things I wish I had done differently - like plan for my Christmas dinner earlier.

Here's a true story: my husband and I had some last minute shopping planned for Christmas Eve - just before our celebration. Because I knew we would be out at the last minute I thought it would be ideal to pick up our Christmas Day dinner ham while we were out. To me, that made sense.

The problem - all the grocery stores closed early on Christmas Eve! Although we were able to shop at department stores until late in the day, by the time we thought about the ham all the foods stores were closed. I happen to be a vegetarian - but everyone else in my family expects meat with their meals.

To make a long story short - of course we had other meat; the dinner just wasn't our traditional one. But to make up for that disaster we had a large dinner today (Sunday) - and yes, it did include ham and all the trimmings. This was a wonderful way to end the weekend. So guess what; yep, you guessed it, we will probably be doing this again next year. A new tradition born from a total accident.

Happy Holidays To All!


Bookmark and Share




Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: