Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A Christmas Miracle

It was about a week before Christmas last year and we still did not have our tree up. The kids had been whining for weeks about putting it up and decorating the house – but I had put off the task because of all the rearrangements and digging out of boxes. You know the drill – it can be a lot of work and a real mess. But I finally got the living room moved around so we had room for our extra large Christmas tree.

We all gathered around the artificial tree to help get it set up and make sure we had all the pieces to it. After we had the tree set up I decided to take the kids up to the attic with me to get the rest of the decorations from up there.
We got up to the attic and had to move a lot boxes out of our way, but we finally found the old, favorite Christmas decorations from years gone by. I was so excited that I found all those old decorations that held memories from the kids - I just grabbed the boxes and went back down stairs to go through them.

After I got down stairs and made some lunch for the kids I started to go through all the old boxes of decorations. As soon as I opened the first box I noticed that there was a whole bunch of glass in the bottom of the box and all the decorations that were glass had been broken.

I started opening all the boxes to see if all the glassware had been broken – and to my disappointment, yes, all of the glass things were in tiny pieces in the bottom of the boxes. All the ornaments that my kids made and their baby’s first Christmas ornaments were all broke. These things were much more than decorations to me; they carried with them memories from Christmases in the past.

When my husband got home I was still very upset about the decorations. He told me that everything was going to be ok and we will just buy some more ornaments that the kids can decorate. He gave us some money and sent us to the store to get decorations and supplies for the kids.

The kids and I went to the store and got everything we needed to decorate the tree and to make some new ornaments. We were all still upset but we had a good attitude and we thought it would be fun to have new decorations this year.

When we got home and started unloading the car my husband came out to help. We all got inside and I looked over to see our empty tree and to my amazement it was beautiful. It was covered with lights, decorations and garland. Even some decorations made by my kids.

While we were gone my husband called his mom and she came over to help with the family crisis. Turns out my mother-in-law had a few ornaments made by my children that she had kept safe over the years. With those beautiful decorations and special touches, they got the whole tree decorated before the kids and I got back home - and it was the best tree ever.

After I got over my shock I made everybody some hot chocolate and we all sat around the lighted Christmas tree. This was a Christmas that the kids and I will never forget - it was a true Christmas miracle to me.

Bookmark and Share





Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: