Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Joy Of The Holidays

The true joy of the holidays is the new memories we collect every year and carry with us forever. I am fortunate to have a mother who understands the value of Christmas memories. She always made the holidays a seamless ribbon of happiness. In our family we kick off the Christmas season on Thanksgiving night when we set up our Christmas trees. Everyone in the family helps place decorations on the tree. Almost every one of our ornaments has a story from Christmases of the past. In the bottom of the boxes my mom has collected Santa letters from all her kids and grandkids.


After the star is placed on the top of the tree my mom sets up the dining room table with special stationary. Every member of our family writes a letter to Santa. The wishes in these letters range from the year’s must have toy, (and sometimes it isn’t only the kids wishing for that one), acceptance to a certain college, or for those with more wisdom, happiness for their family in the year to come. It amazes me that mom can get everyone so involved! She truly glows with the spirit of Christmas. Even sulky teenagers drop their façade of cool and allow themselves to act like a kid. My children are just as amazed as I was as a child that Granny knows Santa’s official address.

While we are all writing our letters and helping the small ones with theirs we read some of the old letters from the ornament box. Through these letters we get a glimpse of ourselves in the past. There are letters from children wishing for a gift from Santa that include such things as white unicorns and robots ten feet high. My Dad’s letters are always about the same thin, he wants as much time out on his boat as possible. As we have grown the wishes in the letters have changed. There are many laughs and hugs exchanged between us all. We all like to read the one from my cousin pleading with Santa to trade his new baby sister for a little brother.

As the night wears on my mom tucks the little ones in around her and tells them stories. At some point my mom has set out plates with delicious cookies throughout the family room. All the kids ask my mom all about the real Santa since she is one of the leading experts. There isn’t a topic they skip - my mom knows it all, from elf shoes to the naughty list. All of the little eyes flutter shut one by one, giving the adults time to talk a little more freely. Looking around at my family I am delighted to know that there are countless more Christmas memories ahead!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: