Monday, February 8, 2010

Making Christmas 2010 Even More Special Than Christmas 2009

I’m working hard to stay ahead of schedule for things now and to be more organized when it comes to planning for events, holidays and other special occasions. I started my new year out with a day planner that has plenty of space to write in. I have already added tasks that have to be done at various times of the year for my home, my family, and my business. With that in mind I decided to also add some plans, ideas, and thoughts about things to do for each holiday. Of course, Christmas is the one that requires the most planning and preparation so I wanted to start there.

One of the things I have been doing already is reviewing how the past Christmas went and how I could have improved things. I am always looking for ways to save money, to keep organized, and to involve my family in the processes.

Some of our regular Christmas traditions include the simple things like making some handcrafted decorations, writing letters to Santa Claus, and having a fabulous Christmas dinner. Christmas Eve is also a big event around my house – that is when my children and grandchildren gather to exchange gifts and socialize.

I have decided to add a task of creating one handcrafted gift per month between now and November. I’ll try to stick with that. I have some things that my mother and my grandmother made for me that I simply cherish. I want to pass that tradition along to my family by giving them things that I personally make.

Another idea I have is that when my grandkids come over I will encourage them to make Christmas cards. I’m going to purchase some quality materials to use as well as scrapes from Christmas wrapping paper and old Christmas cards. Depending on how the cards turn out, I will either use them myself or the kids can give them to their friends or they may simply be used for decorations and kept as Christmas keepsakes.

I have also been collecting some easy candy and cookie recipes. My grandkids love to help me in the kitchen so I think instead of me doing it all myself this year I will have a special day of them helping me with these tasks. They will enjoy it and it should be good for some lasting memories – of course, I may be exhausted by the end of the day. Lol

I’ve also thought about making letters to Santa something that the kids do periodically throughout the year. They enjoy writing to him so much that it seems a shame that it is only allowed during the holiday season. After all, Santa is always available, right?

As time goes on I will share some of my ideas for the handcrafted gifts as well as the kid-friendly recipes. Please share any ideas you have too.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: